Yields: 6-8 servings
For the Sweet Potato Filling
3 pounds orange sweet potatoes
4 1/3 c sweet potato, room temperature
3 Tbl Coconut Oil, melted
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 to 2 Tbl Real Maple Syrup (Grade A dark amber/Grade B preferred), depending on sweetness preferences
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Vanilla Bean Powder
For the Tigernut Topping
1/2 c Tigernut Flour
5 Tbl Arrowroot Starch
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
2 Tbl Real Maple Syrup (Grade A dark amber/Grade B preferred)
2 Tbl Coconut Oil, melted
1/3 c Sliced Tigernuts
- Prepare the sweet potatoes for the filling: Preheat the oven to 350 F. the sweet potato filling: Wash the 3 pounds of sweet potatoes. Prick them with the tip of a sharp knife & place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Bake for 1-2 hours, or until very soft. Cool at room temperature & peel off the skin. Note: this roasting process can be done 1 to 2 days in advance of assembling the casserole. Store the baked/peeled sweet potatoes in the refrigerator
- Make the filling by mashing the room temperature baked sweet potatoes with the remaining ingredients. Spread evenly in a baking dish.
- Make the tigernut topping by stirring together the tigernut flour, arrowroot, cinnamon and sea salt. Drizzle in the maple syrup and coconut oil. Mix until combined, but still a little clumpy. Stir in the slivered tigernuts.
- Sprinkle the tigernut topping evenly over the sweet potato filling. Bake in a 350 F oven for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are warmed & the topping begins to brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftovers.
Author: Sweet Treats